from the yamadadera
BUDDHA HEAD FROM THE YAMADADERA
The image of Nyorai (the historical Buddha) which was completed in 685 (the 14th year of Tenmu's reign) and served as the main object of worship in the Yamadadera lecture hall was in 1186 transferred to the east golden hall of the Kofukuji in Nara. Later it was caught in a fire disaster and only the head remained. Drawing on early Tang influences, ft exhibits such characteristic features of early Hakuho Period Buddhist images as the bright expression and boyish countenance, the eyebrows drawn out in a long arc, and the elongated narrow eyes.The boddihisattvas which stand today on both sides of the main image of worship in the Kofukuji east golden hall were originally the lateral attendant figures for this image when it stood in the Yamadadera. After the beginning of the latter half of the 7th century, such large-scale 3piece displays (sanzonbutsu), in which the attendant figures assume a considerable degree of independence, came to be created in large number, even in clan temples.
|THE ASUKA PALACES
|THE ASUKA TEMPLES
|ASUKA AND THE MAN'YOSHU|
Copyright (c) 1995 ASUKA HISTORICAL MUSEUM All Rights Reserved.
Any request to email@example.com
Authoring: Yasuhito Kakiya